Here at Independent Benefit Advisors, we want to help you get the medical coverage you need. If you are of retirement age (65 or over), then you are eligible for Medicare. Medicare is a complex program that is often confusing for people who are not well-versed in its many rules and qualifiers, which means many people who are eligible for this coverage have numerous questions about it. In this article, we’ll go over a few of the most frequently asked questions we receive in regard to Medicare and give you the answers you are looking for.
Who Is Eligible for Medicare?
The most common question we receive about Medicare is who is eligible for this coverage. While there are some nuances to this answer, in general you are eligible for Medicare if you meet at least one of the following qualifications:
- You are age 65 or older
- You are living with a disability, regardless of age
- You have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- You have permanent kidney failure (also called end-stage renal disease or ESRD).
What Does Medicare Cover?
Medicare is divided into different parts, each of which covers different types of costs:
- Part A covers inpatient stays in hospitals or nursing care facilities, as well as home health care or hospice care.
- Part B covers outpatient services, including doctor visits, diagnostic tests, and preventative care.
- Part C (also known as Medicare Advantage). In this type of plan, a Medicare-sponsored private insurer covers the costs of these services, rather than Medicare paying for them directly.
- Part D covers the costs of most prescription drugs.
What If Medicare Doesn’t Pay for All of My Expenses?
The third most common question we get in regard to Medicare is what a person should do if the program does not cover all of their medical expenses. If you are in this situation, there are several ways to add to your existing coverage, with some of the most popular being Medicare Supplement plans and Medicare Advantage plans. If you have further questions about this matter or anything else, don’t hesitate to contact our team.